New Website Under Development
Please be patient with us as we are in the process of developing a brand new website to respond to the needs of those living with asthma, and those working to improve the lives of those living with asthma. We are excited to launch our new site soon!
Asthma Community Advisory BoardChicago Asthma Consortium has launched its Asthma Community Advisory Board-a group of adults with asthma, parents of children with asthma, community health educators and community leaders. This Board will provide input into asthma initiatives, and provide insight into community-level challenges and solutions related to asthma. For more information, contact Stacy at 773.628.7663 or email@example.com.
School and Asthma
Parents, here are a couple important reminders to keep your child with asthma safe at school.
- Illinois law allows children with asthma to carry their own inhaler and self-administer as needed in school. Only a note from a parent or guardian and a copy of the prescription is needed. A medical provider form or signature is not required for your child to carry or self-adminster.
- Your child's school should offer to develop a Section 504 Plan to address daily management of asthma while at school. To begin the process of developing a 504 plan for your child, please see the following tools to help you get started.
504 Plan Request for Medical Providers
504 Plan Request for Parents
Data and Reports
- Illinois Department of Public Health: Asthma Burden Update January 2013
- National Surveillance of Asthma: 2001-2010
- Work-related asthma surveillance data
- Asthma Prevalence, Health Care Use, and Mortality: United States, 2005-2009
- CDC's BRFSS Adult Asthma Module
- Black-White Health Disparities in the US and Chicago:
A 15-Year Progress Analysis
- CAC Guide to Asthma Publications
Welcome to the Chicago Asthma Consortium!
The Chicago Asthma Consortium is a coalition of medical and public health professionals, business leaders, government agencies, community-based organizations, and individuals dedicated to improving the quality of life for people with asthma.
Emergency Management of Asthma
June 4, 2014
View meeting summary here.
Do You Have Asthma?
Researchers at Northwestern University are investigating treatments for adults of African ancestry with asthma: Best African American Response to Asthma Drugs (BARD) Trial.
For more information, click here.
Disclaimer. The information contained in this website is provided with the understanding that the Chicago Asthma Consortium (CAC), this site and its services, including all the resources provided, serve informational purposes only. Only a doctor who is treating you can provide you with medical advice examination, diagnosis, or treatment. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. The CAC does not endorse any medical or professional service referred to on this site or any links to this site. It also does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned. While we try to keep the information on this site as accurate as possible, we cannot guarantee its accuracy, timeliness, or completeness.